Has your dentist in Deerwood, MN told you that you are going to need a crown? If so, one of your options is CEREC dental crowns. But what are CEREC dental crowns, and what are they used for? Let’s take a look at this and other important information about CEREC dental crowns.
What Are CEREC Dental Crowns?
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. CEREC crowns are constructed using CAD/CAM technology which is a computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing technology. This technology can take quick impressions of your teeth which can then be used to precisely generate a variety of dental appliances.
CEREC dental crowns are almost always made of extremely durable ceramic and can last between 10–15 years. Traditional crowns are typically made from metal, resin, ceramic, porcelain, or porcelain-fused-to-metal.
What Is the Difference Between CEREC Crowns and Traditional Crowns?
The main difference between CEREC crowns versus traditional crowns is that CEREC crowns can be designed and generated in a single dental visit. Traditional crowns require two trips to your dentist, and you wear a temporary crown until the new one comes in.
What Can CEREC Dental Crowns Be Used For?
CEREC crowns in Deerwood, MN can be used for a wide variety of dental applications.
- Fixed bridges
- Inlays and onlays
- Various orthodontic appliances
The Pros and Cons of CEREC Crowns
Just like with anything else, there are pros and cons that come with opting for CEREC dental crowns.
- Can be designed and generated in one day.
- Improve the appearance of your smile.
- No temporary crown is needed.
- Require little to no re-working.
- 3D-designed molds are more precise than traditional putty molds.
- Can’t be used for teeth with fractures below the gumline because the 3D camera can’t capture all the damage.
- Aren’t as durable as metal or porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns.
- Are more expensive than traditional crowns because computer technology is required to create the impression.
Do You Need a Dentist in Deerwood, MN?
If you need a dentist in Deerwood, MN, please Contact River Oaks Dental today. We offer comprehensive and customized dental care with state-of-the-art equipment and technologies in a judgment-free dental office. Come and experience dental care the River Oaks Dental way.